This is the time of the the year our customers call us up needing urgent help because they’ve just turned on the heating again, only to find it doesn’t work. Although we install and repair all types of heating systems, it’s the importance of good boiler maintenance that deserves special attention. We can’t emphasise enough to our clients the importance of good maintenance. Much like we service our cars to save us from much bigger costs further down the line, we need to have the same attitude towards all types of heating & cooling systems.
However, it’s also very important to choose the right company to do your servicing. ‘Which?’ magazine did an investigation into gas engineers in the UK back in 2009. They set up a boiler with a minor fault (and secret cameras) and got 10 different gas engineers around. The results were pretty shocking, this is what they found:
“Of our 10 gas engineers, one gas engineer failed to turn up. Of the other nine gas engineers, three were so bad we reported them to safety watchdog the Gas Safe Register. The Gas Safe Register said that the engineers were negligent, and launched an investigation. It is a legal requirement that anyone carrying out gas work should be on the Gas Safe Register.
What the Which? boiler investigation found:
– Two gas engineers did a very good job
– One gas engineer condemned our boiler and then disconnected the gas – even though it was perfectly safe
– Two gas engineers told us they had carried out checks which we knew they hadn’t done
– Five gas engineers failed to correct the boiler’s gas pressure
– Three gas engineers didn’t check whether our boiler needed cleaning. This is important, as a dirty boiler won’t work efficiently
– All of the gas engineers managed to fix the fault we introduced to stop the boiler working, apart from the one who condemned it – he didn’t get that far.”
We wouldn’t highlight this investigation unless we were sure that we will do the job properly for you. Not only do we have very professional and conscientious technicians that will make sure that the boiler is functioning correctly but we also have the special kit to carry out a proper combustion analysis to ensure that there is no danger from any toxic emissions like carbon monoxide.